Saturday, January 14, 2017

Mashed Cauliflower


I've been in the cauliflower rice fan base for quite some time. What I had never tried, oddly enough, is mashed cauliflower. To see it in the photo above you would never know it wasn't mashed potatoes. 
Honest.
If you eat it on its own then it does have a cauliflower-ish taste BUT if you put a few spoonfuls of gravy on then *boom* exactly like mashed potatoes but nowhere near the calories or carbs. I'm watching my calories and this completely satisfied the craving I was having for a big ol' plate of mashed potatoes and gravy. 
You can fancy them up with butter or cream cheese - I didn't because of the calories it added - but I found I really did not need to add them. 


Mashed Cauliflower

Ingredients
1 med head cauliflower
3 cloves garlic, halved
1 Tbsp Parmesan, grated
1/4 cup red onions, fried

Directions
Break apart the cauliflower into florets. Place in the top of a steamer (or double boiler) with the 3 cloves or garlic. 


Cook until fork tender. 
Remove from heat and place cauliflower and garlic into a blender (or food processor). Add in the Parmesan and fried onions. 


Pulse until smooth - leave it a little lumpy if that is how you prefer your mashed potatoes normally. 


Place on serving plate...


Top as desired.


With some  gravy OR 


Some gravy and chicken meatballs!
I added the red onions (fried) because I found that the little colored bits in the mashed cauliflower resembled potato skins and lent to the whole illusion of having mashed potatoes. 
I counted this recipe as 2 servings - about 1 cup each - and, according to Myfitnesspal the nutritional counts are: 94 calories, 1 fat, 18 carbs, 7 fiber, 7 protein per serving. 
How awesome is that? And the gravy hardly adds any calories either - the gravy I use is 3 Tbsp for 40 calories. I had one serving for dinner then reheated the second serving in the microwave for lunch the next day. *perfection*
 
Be sure to stop by Carole's Chatter for more tasty links!

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried mashed cauliflower before. I must admit it does look good and I could do with the lesser calorie count than mash potatoes :)
    ... stopping by from Food on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a tray Trisha. With a little gravy on top you really almost can't even tell it's not potatoes! :)

      Delete