Sunday, July 10, 2016

Loco Moco


Not too long ago Sue was telling me about this delicious Hawaiian dish called Loco Moco. 
To be honest, when she first told me the ingredients I was thinking it sounded a little crazy. I mean, I've had an egg on a hamburger before (delicious) but an egg with gravy and rice? Craziness. 
But then I decided to give it a go. 
Best. Decision. Ever.
I don't think it would be wrong for me to eat this every day for dinner for the next few weeks. 
I'll let you know.


Loco Moco

Ingredients
hamburger patties
white rice
fried eggs
beef gravy

Directions
Cook hamburger patties your favorite way. (Now, my favorite way would be on the BBQ but a bear destroyed my BBQ so now I prepare them in the oven. Still good. )


While burgers are cooking prepare the rice. 
When the rice and burgers are almost ready, prepare the eggs and gravy.


**NOTE ** I cook my burgers at 375 for a total of about 15 - 20 minutes (flipping over at the half way mark). The rice takes about 20 minutes so I start them at the same time. 
The eggs and gravy (I used a package mix!) only take about 3 or 4 minutes so I just throw them on at the end. 
When everything is ready, place a scoop of rice on a plate. Top with a burger patty and a generous scoop of gravy.


Top with a fried egg.


Serve immediately. 


This is a fairly heavy dinner so I didn't add any other sides. Just this big ol' bowl of protein and carbs, thank you very much. 
So tasty.
Yet another reason to love Hawaii. 


We're sharing at Carole's Chatter - Be sure to click over and check it out! 

3 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with this dish. It sounds quite good, thank you so much for sharing! It kind of reminds me of poutine, which is a Quebec food (I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada). Poutine is simply french fries covered with cheese curds and topped with heated barbecue sauce. It sounds strange but is quite good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love poutine Linda! I've never tried it with BBQ sauce though. Always gravy :)

      Delete
  2. It is a wonderful dish served at Ken's in the main island of Hawaii a 24 hour place by the airport..The portions are huge and so yummee, just watched a program on the pbs station about Omelettes and they featured this restaurant and the Loco Moco dish, it would fill me up for a week..Hardy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete