Monday, August 26, 2013

Greek Chicken Salad


I am really starting to come around when it comes to salads. I think the whole salad-as-a-meal thing is what is convincing me. A salad doesn't just have to be lettuce and veggies. (Took me long enough to realize this!)
I really liked our Cheeseburger Salad the other day so I decided to try and come up with another hearty meal-type salad. 
I threw together what I figured would taste good in a Greek salad and **tah-dah** this salad was born.
I don't know if it a "traditional" Greek salad or not BUT it is delicious nonetheless. 


Greek Chicken Salad

Ingredients
Chicken Marinade
1/4 cup oil
juice of 1 lemon (about 3 - 4 Tbsp)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed

Salad
1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup Kalamata olives
1/4 cup purple onion, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup cucumber, diced
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Dressing
1/2 cup light tzatziki
2 Tbsp milk

Directions
Marinade - in a large Ziplock bag, mix together oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and salt. Drop in the cubed chicken and squish to coat all the chicken. Seal bag and chill in fridge for at least 2 -3 hours. 
When ready to cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dump chicken and marinade from the bag into the skillet. 


Cook and stir chicken until no longer pink and chicken is cooked through.
Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
Prepare salads - Divide lettuce among 5 plates. Evenly sprinkle each bed of lettuce with the red pepper, olives, onion, tomato, cucumber, and feta. Spoon the warm chicken evenly over each salad.
Prepare dressing - In a small bowl, stir together the Tzatziki with enough milk to thin it enough to drizzle over salads. Drizzle evenly over the 5 salads. 


I checked with Myfitnesspal and I've got good news!!
For 1/5 of the recipe (That plateful above is 1/5th of the recipe!!) it is:
Calories - 325, Carbs - 11, Fat - 13, Protein - 40. 
Lunch or dinner for 325 calories? Don't mind if I do. 
Trust me when I say this is a big portion! 
Huge!
You can eat and eat and eat. Now, that's my kind of meal. 

Drop by Carole's Chatter for some fantastic links!

1 comment:

  1. Your salad looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete