Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Miso Veggies With Bacon


Have you ever tried cooking with Miso paste?
Until today I have only ever had Miso in pre-made, store bought, packaged soup. I really enjoyed the flavor and always wondered what in the heck Miso was. 
I had it in my head that it was a powder of some sort. 
Nope.
It's a paste.
Last weekend I spotted Miso on the shelves at our local grocery store and knew I had to try a dish with it. I came up with this mixture of bacon and corn and other veggies and served it over brown rice. 
Turns out, I really like Miso and so did the whole fam-damily.
I can't wait to experiment some more with this very flavorful and interesting ingredient.
Any recommendations?


Miso Veggies With Bacon

Ingredients
1 tsp butter
1/2 cup carrot, shredded
2 mushrooms, diced
1/4 small, purple onion, diced
1 can corn, undrained
2 Tbsp dried chives
1 tsp dried garlic
4 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 Tbsp Miso
3 - 4 Tbsp water (or chicken broth)
2 cups brown rice, cooked

Directions
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in carrots, mushrooms, and onion. 


Cook and stir until vegetables soften. Stir in corn (and liquid in the can), chives, garlic, and cooked bacon. 
Cook and stir for about 3-4 minutes. 
Add in the Miso and the water (or chicken broth). Start with a tablespoon of liquid at a time until Miso "melts" and mixture is heated through. You want a bit of liquid as your sauce but do not want it to be "soupy".
Serve over rice (or brown rice). 


Definitely glad I picked up the Miso at the grocery store. (In the refrigerated section) 
One of the pluses of Miso is that it apparently lasts for several months in the fridge. 
If I had to describe its flavor I would compare it to soy sauce, both of them being similarly salty, otherwise it is a very distinct yet subtle addition to a dish. 
 
Don't forget to visit The Mandatory Mooch and My Turn (for us) and Blissful And Domestic for tons of fabulous links.

2 comments:

  1. I have never thought to cook with miso, except with soup, however, this looks good. When I did a little more research I found that some people like to coat corn on the cob with miso, wrap in tinfoil and grill it. I bet that would be tasty and would help me avoid the over buttering I like to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh... corn on the cob with miso would be delicious :) Thank you for the idea!

      Delete