Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Broccomole


I always buy too much broccoli. I eat some steamed and some roasted and then I leave the rest to sit in the fridge until it can pretty much crawl out on its own.
I decided to try and stop being so wasteful. I was searching broccoli recipes on Google and up popped Broccomole. There are several different versions out there so I combined a few and came up with this one.
It is really tasty. I don't know if I would call it a substitute for guacamole or not. It isn't really all that similar. But, it is a very interesting and tasty way to use up the broccoli in the fridge.


Broccomole

Ingredients
4 cups broccoli, raw
1 jalapeno pepper
2 Tbsp onion
1/4 cup cream cheese (light)
1/4 tsp chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper

Directions
Cook broccoli in boiling water until broccoli is very tender. Drain well.
Place jalapeno, onion, cream cheese, chili powder, garlic, and salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add broccoli and process until smooth.
Serve warm or room temp.

This makes about 2 cups. I calculated a serving size as a FULL CUP of the broccomole.
Calories - 150, Fat - 7, Carbs - 15, Protein - 7.


Now, here is an idea to use some of the broccomole to make a really cool lunch or dinner side dish.

Broccomole Zucchini Rolls

Ingredients
1 medium zucchini
1/4 cup broccomole
3 Tbsp Mozza cheese, skim
1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
Thinly slice the zucchini vertically. Lay strips on the parchment paper. Cook at 425 for 5 minutes, flip strips over, cook another 5 minutes.


Remove zucchini from oven and let cool until you are able to pick it up with your hands.
Turn oven down to 375. Line a small pan (8X8 or smaller) with parchment paper.
Spread a spoonful of broccomole down each strip. Sprinkle with a tsp of Mozza cheese.


Roll up strip and place in prepared pan. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Turn broiler on. Broil until cheese is melty and brown.


Serve hot.
Want to know the calories in these?
For the whole recipe of zucchini rolls it is: Calories - 120, Fat - 6, Carbs - 9, Protein - 9.
I think I got 11 or 12 rolls out of the one zucchini. 
I had them as my lunch but you could easily serve these as a spicy vegetable side dish with dinner.
I will remember this the next time I have a head of broccoli to use up.
This dip would be great with veggies as well as crackers if you are looking to save even more calories.

Stop by Carole's Chatter for some great links.

7 comments:

  1. I saw a similar recipe a long time ago and had completely forgotten about it. So I'm glad to find this version - must make soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW These recipes are great, my feelings too, poor ole broccoli we all love it but always as you say same ole same ole. Great way to us it up, easy too. Thanks looking forward doing these. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name is awesome ;) I can't wait to try this one, since I'm a broccoli lover!
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza - I hope to see you there again next week with more deliciousness :)

    ReplyDelete