Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Bacon Brittle

 
Did you read that title and think, "Whaaaaaaaaaaat?" with one eyebrow raised ever so quizzically?
I know the feeling.
While I was surfing the web one day I came across this intriguing recipe over at Tasty Kitchen's blog.
Ummm...yeaaaaaaah....
There was no chance I wasn't going to be making this. Especially when Sue was hinting a lot about wanting to try it. She doesn't ever want to try sweet stuff. She's crazy that way. BUT...she actually wanted to try this.
I think it was the bacon that convinced her.
Sue's motto? "Bacon makes everything better." True story. She has it on a T-shirt.
What can't bacon do?
 
 
Bacon Brittle
 
Ingredients
6 slices bacon, cooked and finely diced
1 cup sugar
1/4 water
1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
coarse sea salt (for sprinkling)
 
Directions
Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray VERY WELL (or you can use butter). Set aside.
In a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan, combine sugar, water, butter, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over moderate heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture reaches 300 on a candy thermometer (about 10 to 15 minutes).
Remove pan from heat and stir in the baking soda. Then mix in the bacon bits.
Immediately pour onto prepared cookie sheet and quickly spread out into a thin, even layer. Sprinkle with the coarse sea salt.
 
 
Ooooooooh so pretty!
 
 
Allow to cool completely then break into pieces.
The verdict?
Pure salty, sweet, crunchy, delicious, bacony, caramel goodness.
Sue loved it. Kenzie loved it. Mom and dad loved it. I loved it.
No one else was able to try it as we ate all the samples. Bwah-ha-ha!
I made enough for our mother to sell at her church bazaar this upcoming weekend. I'm hoping I hid the bags will enough that no one finds them and eats them.
They're crafty little devils, my family....especially when delicious treats are involved.
 

11 comments:

  1. Mmmmm Sugar and Bacon!! Just Missing one thing..Beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Gabe! I might try making a batch with beer in it! :) lol

      Delete
    2. I'm making this but candying the bacon with beer first just with a medium lager

      Delete
  2. This is a must try for me! It looks superb! I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, can't you just smell mmmmm.... yum yum Bacon , Bacon. Sure going to try this one, just happened to bought some BACON. I love peanut brittle always make a batch at Chrismas, so here comes this NEW FLAVOR. Thanks Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I can just taste it now! Sounds wonderful, I'll have to add that to my list of "must trys"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to invite you to join me at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-10.html



    I hope you can make it!

    ,

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. If I make this, I will be a HERO in our family. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo and Sue, I’m Anne from Life on the Funny Farm (http://annesfunnyfarm.blogspot.com), and I’m visiting from Farmgirl Friday.

    Hmmm. Color me skeptic. I love bacon. I love sweets. Don't know if I would like them together. You make a convincing argument, though! I'll think about it...

    Anyway, thanks for posting this. If you’ve never visited yet, I hope you can pop by my blog sometime to say hi…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you add some maple syrup instead (or in addition to the corn syrup)?

    ReplyDelete