Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sour Cream Raisin Pie


This is one of our dad's favorite pies. I think his first choice is Lemon Meringue, but this is definitely second on the list.
I used to think "Eeeew....raisin pie....eeeeew" but have come to realize the error of my ways.
This is soooo creamy and rich and delicious and as close to perfection in a pie as I have ever tasted.
Pretty bold statement, I know.
I think this may be my favorite pie.
Yup, there, I said it.
The Grape Cream Pie I made back in the summer was my favorite for a while there, only because I forgot about the deliciousness of this pie.
It is a spicy pie, if that is the right description.... it has cinnamon and cloves and nutmeg. A friend tried a piece and she said it kind of reminded her of mince meat pie.
I can see the connection. But, that being said, I strongly dislike mincemeat.
I don't want to say "hate" because I tasted these mincemeat squares once that were not too bad. But, mincemeat pie, no, no, no thank you, no.


Sour Cream Raisin Pie

Ingredients
1 cooked 9 inch, deep dish pie shell (or see *notes below)

Filling
2 cups raisins
2 cups sugar
2 cups sour cream
pinch salt
2 heaping Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs

Topping
2 cups whipping cream
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch cinnamon


Directions
Mix all filling ingredients together in a heavy saucepan. Cook, over medium heat, until thickened and smooth. (It doesn't necessarily have to come to a boil). Stir constantly. (I find this usually takes between 10 - 15 minutes depending on the temperature of the burner)
Remove from heat and cool slightly, about 15 minutes.


Pour into cooked pie shell. Let completely cool.
In a medium sized bowl, beat together topping ingredients until whipping cream forms fairly stiff peaks. Spoon over raisin mixture in pie shell. If you want to, sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon on top for decoration.


Store, covered, in refrigerator.



*Note - you can make an 8 inch pie and about 12 tarts or 2 small 8 inch pies or 1 HUGE 9 inch deep dish pie.
Yeah, I made the huge one.
Don't judge me.


Be sure to stop by Carole's Chatter for more great links!

6 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious...and no bake! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously my favorite pie!!! Was thinking about what to make for Thanksgiving and this popped into my head! Yours was the fist picture that looked liked the ones my mom would make! Thank you for posting!!! Totally want some pie now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made this twice, always with just one cup of sugar which seems just right. Second time I added some lime juice and rum....loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does not get better than homemade mincemeat pie. I like raisin pie…but not better than homemade mincemeat. Grocery store stuff doesn’t even have meat in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sour Cream Raisin Pie and always look for it in Amish country. I have made it myself, but not everyone in our family likes raisins...and I shouldn't eat a whole pie by myself ! [ I probably could - it's so good.] Great idea to make tarts instead of a big pie. My mother made what she called mince pie out of green tomatoes [ no meat.] It was delicious ...but again something my family wouldn't really care for.

    ReplyDelete