Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cinnamon Streusel Loaf


Okay if you are one of those people that don’t like streusel then I apologise for my next comment....
You people are strange.
Actually, you know what?
I don’t apologize.
You people are truly crazy. I mean, really? What is not to love about cinnamon, sugar, pecans, and coconut?
Okay, okay.... I shouldn’t judge. We all have our preferences, right? I just can’t fathom how some people can’t enjoy a good streusel. Weird.....
Anyhoo...
This loaf turned out very moist. It had that odd texture that made it crumbly but not crumbly at the same time. I really liked it. I have a weird thing about the textures of food so I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I am thinking that the next time I make it I should try it in a small Bundt pan and serve it as a “coffee cake”. I am pretty sure that the only difference between calling this a loaf and a coffee cake is the pan you bake it in.......
.
.
Cinnamon Streusel Loaf

Ingredients
Loaf
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 cup sour cream

Streusel
1/2 cup chopped pecan
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 8.5 X 4.5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
Beat butter until creamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until well blended.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated - do not overmix!
In separate bowl, mix together streusel ingredients.
Spread half of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 of streusel mixture. Spread remaining batter into pan. Top with remaining streusel.
Bake at 350 for about 1 hour. Toothpick inserted into middle should come out clean and top will be golden brown. If it is getting too brown but is not cooked through - cover with tinfoil and bake until done. Remove from oven and cool for 5 - 10 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on wire rack.
.

This recipe made one large loaf but it easily doubles to make two. I made two but did NOT have to double the streusel. I found that there was enough from one recipe to do both loaves.
 If you are looking for a loaf that will also pretty up a plate of sliced loaves then this is the one. It looks lovely with its ribbon of sugary deliciousness running through the center.


No comments:

Post a Comment